PRESS RELEASE: Proposed Legislation to Correct 5 Florida Holidays that celebrate Confederates and Colonizers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Proposed Legislation to Correct 5 Florida Holidays that celebrate Confederates and Colonizers
Florida – October 12, 2020 – FL Senator Bobby Powell and FL House Representative Geraldine Thompson will be sponsoring a new bill for the 2021 legislative session. The draft legislation is a collaborative effort of the Florida Citizens’ Initiative with the intention to unite Floridians across the political spectrum and ‘help legislators do their job.” Created and paid for by The Green Party of Florida, the bill has six state legislators on board so far including members of the FL Legislative Black Caucus. Other groups with a clear stake in the draft legislation are being contacted, including Florida native tribes, Hispanic, Latinx and immigrant groups.
The ‘Repair Legal Holidays of Confederates and Colonizers’ draft bill will:
- RENAME 5 Legal holidays.
- REPLACE colonizers and supporters of Confederate slavery.
- REFOCUS holidays on individuals and events affected.
- RECTIFY historical inaccuracies.
- REDRESS years of omission of black, brown, indigenous and disadvantaged immigrants.
The five official legal state holidays in FS 683.01 (S1) to be refocused include:
1. Birthday of Robert E. Lee with John Lewis Voting Rights Day, January 19.
2. Pascua Florida Day with Pascua Florida and Indigenous Peoples’ of Florida Day, April 2.
3. Confederate Memorial Day with Slave Ancestors Day, April 26.
4. Birthday of Jefferson Davis with Juneteenth Month Jubilee, June 3.
5. Columbus Day and Farmers’ Day with Indigenous Peoples’ Day and Small Farms’ Day, second Monday in October
The exigency for factual commemorations that unite us in our democratic ideals is of great importance to Florida citizens, students, businesses and visitors to our state.
The ‘Repair Legal Holidays’ draft bill will repair years of historical inaccuracies and omission. No dates will change. No fiscal impact is expected.
See more at: