Support from community organizations and leaders will be crucial to the passage of this bill. If you are a member of an organization that you believe would or should support this initiative or if you have contact with a community leader, you can ask them to support this bill. An example letter is shown below. Feel free to cut-and-paste and personalize it.
[THIS IS AN EXAMPLE LETTER, PLEASE COPY AND PERSONALIZE]
[Name of Community Leader]
[Name of Organization]
RE: Repair Legal Holidays of Confederates and Colonizers
As a leader(s) in the community, your endorsement of a new Bill to be sponsored by Senator Bobby Powell and Representative Geraldine Thompson would be influential in its passage. The Repair Legal Holidays Bill would correct five official legal holidays in our Florida Statutes that currently celebrate colonizers and supporters of Confederate slavery. The Bill will focus on accurate historical events and persons affected who exemplify democratic unity.
The five corrections are:
- Birthday of Robert E. Lee with John Lewis Advance Voting Rights Day, January 19.
- Pascua Florida Day with Pascua Florida Indigenous Peoples’ of Florida Day, April 2.
- Confederate Memorial Day with Slave Ancestors Day, April 26.
- Birthday of Jefferson Davis with Juneteenth Month Jubilee, June 3.
- Columbus Day and Farmers’ Day with Indigenous Peoples’ Day and Small Farms’ Day, second Monday in October
Your endorsement of this important Bill first proposed by The Green Party of Florida will make a difference to your community. These holidays play an important role in the lives of Floridians, students, businesses and visitors. Passage of this bill will repair omissions, helping reunite us in our state commemorations and celebrations. There is no expected financial cost to Floridians.
[Please sign your name preferably in blue ink.]